Personal Injuries

On the Job

It's never fun to be injured on the job. However, it's nice to know that if it happens to you, you'll be covered by the Workers' Compensation Board. The WCB is an organization set up to help employers create a safer working environment for their workforce. It also provides financial assistance to employees who are harmed in the course of their regular work duties.

You could get injured or develop a disease as a direct result of your work. The WCB will pay wage loss benefits while you're away from your job. They will also cover your medical expenses and pay for any rehabilitation you may need to reach optimal recovery. In severe cases the WCB will fund any home, vehicle or workplace modifications you may require.

If your injury results in permanent disability, the WCB will provide you with a pension. In the unfortunate case of your death, they will pay benefits directly to your dependants, and cover all funeral costs.

Contact the Workers' Compensation Board for more information.

Off the Job

Even if you're injured away from work, you may receive part of your regular income through Employment Insurance sickness benefits. If you worked before your injury, you could get 55% of your weekly wages for a maximum of 15 weeks. You'll need to apply for this benefit as soon after your last day of work as possible. You'll need your Record of Employment stating how long you worked for your last employer(s) and what you earned. You'll also need a medical statement from your doctor stating that you're unable to work. Your doctor will also have to indicate how long your injury is expected to keep you from the workforce.

There are a lot of technicalities and stipulations to collecting sickness benefits. It's easy to obtain all of the information you need from Human Resource Development Canada.